My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Pride, Busyness and Being Judgmental

I am on Day 60 of my study and today's study is inspired by the author Calvin Miller.  I had never heard of him until now.  He is an author, pastor, speaker and teacher.  He has written 30-some books and his articles have been featured in publications such as Christianity Today.  He was saved when he was a boy of nine years old at a Pentecostal tent revival in Oklahoma in the later part of the 1940's.  I will have to keep him in mind when searching for my next book.  It might be awhile because I am currently reading three books and have a big stack on my shelf just waiting for me!

The study verse for today is found in John.  Please read on!

John 13:14) "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash another's feet."
There are three attitudes that block my service of God's people.  Maybe one or all of them apply to you too.
1. Pride- "I am too good to do that."
2. Busyness- "There is no time to serve others because I can hardly keep up with my own life."
3. Being Judgmental- "They probably made poor choices to get themselves into such a mess."
I need to have humility to serve others.  Unfortunately, this does not come natural to me (or anyone else either).  We get true humility only by being humiliated.  Pride and humility are opposite.  Let's take a minute to see what the dictionary has to say about each of these words.  Dictionary.com is great!
Pride-  a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
Humility- modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Pride keeps me from many blessings in life.  It can keep me from reaching out to others in friendship, showing my true self, or serving people.  Back in Cincinnati we attended a church named RiverTree.  I decided it was time to get involved and serve at church in some manner.  I offered to come in and clean once a month.  It was not a huge commitment, but they only needed me once a month so I agreed.  The children's area usually needed vacuumed and tidied up.  This worked out perfectly because 1. I wanted to use my new Dyson any chance I got and 2. Eli loved playing with all the toys while I cleaned.  On one of my first visits I was asked if I would also clean the bathrooms.  Of course I smiled and said, "sure!"  On the inside I said, "yuck, really?!"  As I scrubbed toilets I would be lying if I said my pride was not affected a little.  The Holy Spirit took hold of me and I knew my attitude had to change.  Even scrubbing toilets can be done to the glory of God!

Mark 9:35) Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

Proverbs 11:2) When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 16:18-19) Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

Proverbs 18:12) Before his downfall a man's heart is proud, but humility comes before honor.

1 Corinthians 10:31) So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.        

Ah busyness!  Honestly, I am not too busy and I am okay with this.  Dave and I love calmness and choose to lead a pretty slow-paced life.  This works out well because I usually feel like I have not slept in days!  Aaaaanywho, on to my point.  There have been times when we have been very busy though.  Even though we were busy doing good things we were not doing the best things.  The best things are found when we look outside ourselves and our agenda.  I make time for priorities.  We planned to stay in Georgia for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.  After a crazy year we thought a nice holiday at home would be ideal.  Dave even took time off work at Thanksgiving and Christmas!  Before Thanksgiving, I told Dave since we had no plans for the holidays we should go to the Golden Harvest Food Bank and serve Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.  He was all for it!  So do you want to know how it turned out?  Time got away.  WE enjoyed OURSELVES at home, WE ate OUR favorite foods, watched OUR favorite shows, opened lots of gifts to US...well, we focused on ourselves.  Even in our non-busyness we did not serve at that time.  So if you think when you are less busy you will serve, it probably will not happen then either. 

Matthew 6:33) But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Luke 10:38-42) Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”         *The word 'serve' here can be thought of as busyness.

Ephesians 5:15-17) Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.


I'm three for three so far because I can also be judgmental!  One Sunday Pastor Bobby gave everyone in church either $1, 5, 10, or 20 bills to give away.  We explained this to Eli and he knew we had $5 to spend on someone else, someone we did not know.  The next week we were out shopping and as we pulled up to a red light we noticed a homeless man standing on the corner holding a sign.  Eli inquired to why the man was standing there.  I explained he was asking for money because he had no house and was probably very hungry.  Eli immediately said, "let's give him our 'monies' Mommy!  He could buy a house!"  My heart broke over Eli's innocence AND how my first thought was I wondered what bad decisions that man made to get him to where he was.  I am just being honest here!  Who am I to judge that man?!  How many times have I not served another because I have deemed them unworthy?

Matthew 7:2) For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.    
John 8:7) And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”        

John 7:24) Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

Jesus is clear in John 13:14 as to what we should be doing.  He tells us to serve others because He first served us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment