My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blessing Others

Today's entry is inspired by Matthew Henry.  If you are not familiar with him I will provide some information.  He was born in 1662 and died in 1714.  He was an English commentator on the Bible.  He was also a Presbyterian minister who originally gave up studying law to become a minister.  His Bible commentary is one of the most comprehensive studies on the New and Old Testaments.  He provides commentary for each verse.  Charles Spurgeon (referred to as the People's Preacher) said that, "every minister ought to read it entirely and carefully through once at least."  I would think this would be beneficial for everyone.

Let me share my study for today.

John 13:6) He came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, "Lord are you going to wash my feet?"

I do not believe Peter gets it at first.  He may have even been caught off guard by Jesus' request.  A few verses down he declines the offer. 

John 13:8) Peter declared, "Never at any time will you wash my feet!"  "If I do not wash your feet," Jesus answered, "you will no longer by my disciple."

How many times have I done this same thing?  I decline other's help for a few reasons.  The first reason is because I think I can handle it all or I want others to think I can.  The second reason is pride.  "Nope, I am good," is what I say.  This is such a selfish reaction because by my saying no I am stealing the blessing they receive from helping.  People want to help.

My last entry mentioned my friend Beth.  I was scheduled to leave for Ohio on a Wednesday.  On Tuesday she invited Eli over to play so I could pack in peace.  I declined because I did not want to be a bother and I could handle it all.  As I began to pack I put a cartoon on for Eli to keep him occupied.  Then it hit me!  He could be over playing with his best pal if I was not stubborn.  I immediately called Beth and asked if the offer was still open.  It was .  Soon after I dropped him off at Beth's house down the street my dad called.  He advised me Mom took another downward turn and was not expected to live much longer.  I knew she was not well but hearing it again broke my heart.  In between sobs I called the airline and changed my flight.  It left in two hours!  Guess what?  I was already packed!  I had a few minutes to gather myself before picking up Eli.  We rushed home threw our suitcase in the car and sped off to the airport.  God knew I would need that help right then.  Never before had I felt such an urgency to get to the airport.  I thought I had said my good-byes a few weeks before as I left Mom's bedside, but I learned in that moment I needed one more.  I still do.

So how does this relate to Peter and having his feet washed?  At first Peter made a mistake by declining the washing.  He did not submit.  Accepting help is a submissive action.  It dawned on him he desperately needed Christ's help.  Face it, we all do.  This is true after initial salvation too.  Peter realized his whole nature was polluted and he needed help.

John 13:9) "Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"

Not accepting God's help whether it be His work on the cross for salvation or any other daily need is behaving like Peter in verse 13:8.  Not going to Him for all my needs, in essence, is declining His work on the cross.  There are a few worry strongholds in my life.  When I allow myself to act out in worry I am declining the Lord's help.  Usually it is because I think I can handle it and figure it all out with my stellar reasoning skills.  Hopefully you can sense my sarcasm!  Trusting Him in certain areas is hard for me.  We have all heard the saying, "if you want something done right, do it yourself."  Sadly that is my attitude all too often with the Lord.

To live the full life I desire and He desires for me, I must accept His help every breathing second.  Accepting the help of others is tough.  When I accept anothers help it blesses them.  I am always blessed too.  We pray for God to shower blessing on us, but what about blessing God by accepting His help?

No comments:

Post a Comment