My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

It Is One of You

Today's writing in my guide is authored by W. Phillip Keller.  His short story is his life spanned from 1920-1997.  He was a very eclectic man who was a photographer, author, farmer. etc.  Keller often explained that he was not born with abundant joy, but he learned how to live this way over a lifetime with Christ, his dearest friend and Savior.  He was born in Kenya to missionary parents.  They shipped him off to a far away boarding school at age 8.  Can you imagine sending your child off to boarding school?!  He came to know the Lord as an adult and never looked back.  On to my study.


Mark 14:18) Now as they sat and ate, Jesus said, "Assuredly, I say to you, one of you who eats with Me will betray Me."


I wonder if it got awkward when He made this proclamation?  They all denied the charge.  Judas asked, is it I?"  Funny thing is he knew it was him.  Judas showed signs of greed before.  He thought the oil used on Jesus' feet was being wasteful.  If I'm not mistaken I believe Judas was considered the treasurer of the bunch.


Thirty pieces of silver was not a huge amount.  Two days ago I thought about how I am capable of such evil and how I must choose Jesus over and over again.  What a petty things I've picked over Jesus!


Judas already had the money.  That is something I did not know until today's study.  He had that money already in his pocket and he had the gall to say, "is it I?"  Judas had been fooled by Satan.  When he understood what had happened he back peddled and fast.  I would guess this rang in his ears, "Woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed!  It would have been better for that man if he had not been born," (Matthew 26:24).  Judas ended his life.  Compare him to Peter.  Peter was a bit hasty.  I am sure the soldier whose ear got cut off would agree.  Peter will be fun to meet one day.  I bet my mom and Peter are great friends!  Peter repented for his action and he maintained an intimate friendship with Jesus Christ.


After reading my short text from Mr. Keller today two ideas were laid upon my heart.  The first is I can cannot fool God.  Judas sat there at that table with those coins rattling in his pocket and denied he would be the 'sell-out.'  As frustrating as it is sometimes to not be able to fool God, I am glad that the God of the Universe cannot be fooled.   


Psalm 139:1-4)  You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise;  you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down;  you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.


My second thought is if I come to the cross Sweetly Broken (one of my favorite songs ever...look up Jeremy Riddle on Itunes) with a repentant heart I can be forgiven!  Nothing is too ugly.  Here is one of my favorite verses in the Bible.


Lamentations 3:23) Great is His faithfulness;  His mercies are new every morning.


There would have been new mercies for Judas just like there were for Paul...and are for Anna.


I was not sure what was going to come out of today's study when I started because the topic is less than joyous.  True to God's character He takes pain and changes it to joy.  Today's message is so encouraging because I serve an all-knowing (omniscient) God who forgives ALL my sins.  As Pastor Steve from Rivertree would say, "and that's pretty cool!"





No comments:

Post a Comment