My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Jesus Washes the Disciples' Feet

I am onto the next section of my guide.  Today's study does not have a specific author because it is the introduction.  The introduction packed so much information I decided focus on it today.  The daily Bible verse is below.
John 13:1) It was just before the Passover Feast.  Jesus knew that His time had come for Him to leave this world and go to the Father.  Having loved His own who were in the world, He now showed them the full extent of His love.

I have read about the Passover before, but decided to take a little time to refresh my memory.  Again, my favorite site for question answering is www.gotquestions.org.  It is really a great site!  Basically Passover is a celebration.  An angel of the Lord moved throughout Egypt destroying the firstborn of all people and animals.  Read Exodus 11-12.  This was the final plague and there were ten.  You may be asking what there was to celebrate.  The people were instructed to smear the blood of a spotless lamb over their doorposts.  When the angel saw the blood he would 'passover' the home hence the name, Passover.  There is the reason to celebrate!  The story is a foreshadowing of the spotless lamb of Jesus and His sacrifice for us.  Jewish people celebrate in remembrance of God's grace to them. 

The Last Supper was a Passover meal and the last meal Jesus would eat before His arrest and crucifixion.  Jesus wanted His disciples to remember what He was about to do for them.  Jesus made some very bold predictions at that supper.  He told them He would suffer and die, Peter would deny Him, and one would betray Him.  It had to be an incredibly tense supper.  The group took Communion and He washed their feet.  Communion can be taken so lightly, but when you think about Communion in the historical sense it takes on a new dimension of seriousness.

1 Corinthians 5:7) Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

One could make a whole study on the meaning of yeast in the above verse.  It actually is rather interesting!

So to say the Last Supper was intense would be an understatement.  Jesus had some serious words for His group.  I cannot help but think about the bloody mess that was ahead of Jesus.  His poor mother saw her son hanging on a cross.  If you are feeling brave do some research on the physical implications of dying on a cross.  You will not be the same. 

What did Jesus do midst the supper?  He bowed down before His disciples and began to wash their feet.  These men did not shower each day like you and I.  Their feet were horribly filthy.  He washed their feet!  I can imagine the sorrow being palpable.  I have the privilege of knowing how the story ends.  I can read it clearly printed in the Bible.  I can even read different versions as to get an even clearer understanding.  The disciples did not have that luxury.  Clarity diminishes when we are in the furnace.  As I study I cannot help but think of the reality of Jesus sacrifice to His disciples (they needed a Savior too) and all mankind.  Then He begins washing THEIR feet.
My natural tendency is to serve those I deem worthy.  If I serve too much without a thank you I feel taken advantage of.  I mean I can get offended if I hold the door for someone and they walk through without saying thank you!  This does not happen often here in the south!  Today's study got me thinking about my lack of gratitude to the unblemished Lamb of God and how I serve Him by simply serving others with no strings attached.  Boy do I have some work to do!

1 comment:

  1. I have some work to do, as well...grateful He isn't finished with me yet! Love to you...

    ReplyDelete