My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Does Faith Ever Do Nothing?

Below is a copy of a daily devotion I get over E-mail.  It was my devotion for today.  If you are not familiar with Adrian Rogers and Love Worth Finding Ministries I highly recommend checking him out.  I read a book years ago by Dr. Rogers called, The Incredible Power of Kingdom Authority:  Getting an Upper Hand on the Underworld. 
________________________________________
Faith without Works Is Dead

BIBLE MEDITATION
"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2:26

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT
When you ask God for something, do you just sit back and do nothing and say, "Well, I'm going to show my faith by doing nothing." To the contrary, you will show your faith by doing something.

For faith without works is what? Dead! (see James 2:20) Do you want a house? Pray for it. Then say "Amen" with a hammer and saw. Do you want a wife? Pray for one. Then go shave, put on some cologne, learn some manners, and learn how to be thoughtful and loving.

ACTION POINT:
What have you been praying earnestly about the last week? What is your heart's desire? Ask the Holy Spirit to show you how you can put feet to that prayer. Then, walk the talk! 

_________________________________________


As I lay in bed this morning, after I read the above, I began contemplating how I could apply this to my own life.  I, wholeheartedly, agree with the point Dr. Rogers is making, but had a hard time applying it.  I have had severe hormonal issues for many, many years.  After the birth of my son nearly five years ago I began to feel even worse.  The symptoms ruled (and still do to some extent) my life.  No doctor could tell me what was wrong.  After hours and hours of research on  my own I found a doctor in Cincinnati that would listen to me and not tell me I was just depressed. 


Through a series of saliva tests it was discovered that my body did not regulate it's hormones (estrogen, progesterone, plus many more).  I was literally running on no hormones.  My thyroid was a mess also.  I was put on a bio Identical hormones in June of 2009.  Boy did I have high hopes.  Finally, I would feel better!  Wrong.  While there were some things that felt better as a whole I still felt lousy.  The problem with hormones is they are very intricate to deal with.  My compounding pharmacist, John, was a gift.  He was so encouraging, but his job was sure tough.  I was so young and had no baseline, but had the issues of a menopausal woman.  I had so many hormones that were a mess that changing all of them at once caused even more issues.  There was not one hormone that was at the ideal level.  To say this was all very challenging is a grotesque understatement.  I can honestly say this situation seemed hopeless many times.  I have screamed at the Lord out of desperation and frustration.  There was nothing I could do to change it.


After we moved to Georgia I was divinely lead to a new pharmacy.  They have taken a new approach to my treatments and even uncovered another hormone in my thyroid that was nearly 0.  We have all heard about the hormone cortisol.  It is your stress hormone and apparently mine is very high.  More symptoms have improved over the last few months and more layers have been uncovered.  My new compounding pharmacist is wonderful also and his assistant is truly a treasure to me.  Every time I drive past the pharmacy (it is on a usual route I drive) I pray that God guide Dawn and Austin's hand not only in my situation but that of others. 


I would love to say all my issues have resolved, but they have not.  I'm still on the journey of hormonal health and quite frankly, it stinks.  I know trials build character and I told God recently that I have enough character.  He disagrees...funny.  Anyway, how does this relate to the daily devotion?  Dr. Rogers talks about showing your faith by doing something and I get his point.  For example, if you want your business to succeed you get off your rear and do something to help it succeed.  Here's my thing...there is nothing I can do to change my situation right now.  I've done the leg work on finding doctors, pharmacist, information, etc.  Now I must wait.  Now I must be still.  Now I must trust.  I can show my faith by waiting on the Lord. 


Isaiah 40:31) But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment