My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Growing Up is Hard to Do

Today's study is authored again by the Life Application Bible.  We will jump right in!  The study verse is below.

John 13:3-5) Jesus knew that the Father had given Him authority over everything and that He came from God and would return to God.  So He got up from the table, took off His robe, wrapped a towel around His waist, and poured water into a basin.  Then He began to wash the disciple's feet and to wipe them with a towel He had around Him.

Jesus knew Judas betrayed Him.  Remember, Judas already had his treasure of thirty pieces of silver.  Jesus knew Peter would deny Him the next morning.  Actually, He knew they all would display complete weakness.

Matthew 26:56) But all this had taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.  Then all the disciples left Him and fled.

If I back up and read the context of the above verse I learn that the burners were getting hot.  Push was coming to shove!  The disciples acted in the arm of the flesh and took off in Jesus desperate hour.  I definitely have thought that the disciples were some kind of super-Christians.  Turns out the group that gathered in the Upper Room were just human. 

There have been times when I have tried to make an agreement with Jesus.  "Okay God, if you take away this hormonal h*ll I am living in I will be the best Christian ever," I say.  If you do this for me then I will do that for You.  I promise!  My word is good.  He had just explained to His disciples He was going to die and unconscionable death for ALL mankind's sin then He served them.  They repaid Him by scattering.  Jesus they they would just like He knows when my promises are empty.  He loves them anyway and He loves me anyway.

When the going gets tough do I stand with God or scatter?  Many of those same disciples died a martyr's death.  They came to a place where they had to decide.  Most of us Americans will never be put to those same tests.  The time of Jesus' death was time in the maturation process of each of those twelve men.  They grew as they went just like I do (except for Judas).  God knows my heart and knows when I am authentic. 

So I will keep praying for my healing.  I will wait and in the process, grow up.  Growing up is hard to do as my mother often said.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is...your mother was right about that, and so many other things...

    I often take comfort in the revelation that the people in the bible, including those in the "Hall of Fame of Faith" in Hebrews...were just flawed humans trying to get through the day while clinging to Him...just like me. And, they didn't see the beginning from the end either. They had to trust and walk in faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had a wonderful wisdom about her. It probably came from spending so many hours with her nose in her Bible. It is necessary to remind ourselves often that we are all on the same playing field. God is no respecters of persons.

    ReplyDelete