My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Keep Practicing

David Jeremiah is today's author.  Some of you may have heard of his ministry, Turning Point, which is a daily radio show.  He is a pastor, author, and evangelist.  He is senior pastor of a church in California.  His predecessor was Tim LaHaye.  Tim LaHaye co-authored the Left Behind series of books.  Jeremiah has ties to Ohio.  He was born in Toledo and attended Cedarville College.  I have never read any of his books before but have listened to Turning Point before.  My mom loved David Jeremiah...he must be great!

John 13:3-5) Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself.  After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.

It is interesting that Matthew, Mark and Luke all omitted the foot washing during the Last Supper. John included it.  It is believed that John wrote his account thirty to forty years after the other three.  I have read the New Testament, but never thought about the foot washing story only being in the gospel of John.  It is beneficial to look at the history of the books for clarity.  This helps have a greater understanding of the verses contained within the book.

The Gospel of John was written to show the world that Jesus was the Christ.  He was the Son of God sent by the Father to give believers eternal life.

John 3:16) For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not die but have eternal life.

On a side note, I recall my Aunt MiChelle calling one Sunday morning in late February, 2011.  She had come over to my parent's house to relieve Dad of his duties of caring for Mom so he could attend church. MiChelle would give mom massages (with body wash as we later discovered...it is okay to laugh...we did) and read to her.  She called to chat while she sat with mom and asked what else she should read to her.  Dave recommended John.  What wonderful words for Mom to hear as she lay on her death bed.  Even if her ears and brain were destroyed her spirit was not.  John 3:16 is engraved on her tombstone. One day, because of John 3:16, we will rejoice with her in the presence of our Savior. 

Revelation 21:4) He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.

Okay, that was more then a side note.  Back to a quick glance at the Gospel of John.  John was one who was with Jesus when He raised Jairus' daughter from the dead, during the transfiguration, and in the Garden of Gethsemane.  When Jesus selected John he was working as a fisherman.  It is important to keep in mind the target audience because that explains much of the why and how a piece is written.  John's audience were Christian Gentiles.  Because of this, he often explains Jewish customs.  Unlike Matthew, Mark and Luke, John presents Jesus' teachings in the context of conversations Jesus had with others.  It is very interesting to read the Gospels because the same stories are being told in different fashions.  The other men share the lessons in the form of parables and sermons.  To me, there is a very personal feel to John's writings.  John and James (disciple James not brother James) were brothers and are thought to be cousins of Jesus.  The washing of the Disciples' feet is one of several stories only John includes.  The others are the wedding feast at Cana, the women at the well (love that story), and the raising of Lazarus.

John 20:31) But these have been written in order that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through your faith in Him you may have life.

The above sums up the reason for the Gospel of John!

Back to the study.  I get easily distracted when studying the Bible.  I love the spiritual lesson within the pages and, being a history lover, I also love the historical wealth contained.  How do I become a servant like Jesus was?  Is it even possible?  I think so.  The one glaring difference between myself and Jesus is He was always sinless.  Even as a follower of Jesus I have a pesky sin nature, proud flesh.   Because of this, I need help.  Who can help me bow before people I know would deny and betray me and wash their disgusting feet?  The Helper.  One purpose of the Holy Spirit is to come alongside the believer.  He does what Jesus would do only from the inside.  He accompanies me everywhere I go.  I do not need to wait until Sunday to worship.  I can do it through out my day.  I am trying to get better at doing this and acknowledging Him in the small things.  Acknowledging and letting Him know I need Him is an act of worship.  The Holy Spirit gives me an eternal perspective if I allow Him to just like Jesus had when he walked the earth.  Thinking eternally is impossible for me.  It is possible with my Helper.  In  my study Dr. Jeremiah says we need to practice His presence.  I like that.

Trials do not seem quite as large when I focus on my Helper handling them.  I have felt very overwhelmed and discouraged over the last 5+ years about my health issues.  I honestly have had to remind myself MANY times a day (and night...hello insomnia) that He has got this and I ask Him to empower me beyond my human ability.  He always provides what I need.  Then five minutes later I have to ask again.  I guess that is what Dr. Jeremiah means by practicing His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment