My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

University Bible Fellowship is an organization found on many college campuses.  Their said goal is evangelism. Today's writing is inspired by their entry in my daily study guide.

John 13:16) "I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him."

If a master lowers himself he becomes like the servant.  When Jesus Christ lowered Himself and served His Disciples, or all humanity in His sacrificial death, He lifted us up.  He did not lower Himself to our level, but rather lifted us up to heaven.  Humility and manual labor were loathed by the Greeks and Romans.  Historically, Rome was the center of it all.  I love the History Channel and a few years ago they ran a series about ancient Rome.  It was like no other place on earth at the time.  Understanding who Jesus' audience was is an important part of grasping the full meaning of the passage.  Knowing that makes His actions even more powerful. 

When I serve another, with a good attitude, I become Christ-like.  That is our goal as Christians, to become Christ-like.  We are to strive for holiness.  I read a book titled, The Pursuit of Holiness, by Jerry Bridges, a few years ago.  I highly recommend it, but be prepared to be challenged.  It was very eye-opening.  In His last hour He demanded no respect.  He never scolded the men or accused them of learning nothing over the past three years.  He simply lead by example. 

I think of many times where I have been offended by other's disrespectful actions.  Jesus certainly would have been justified in feeling offended on this, His last night.  The Disciples should have done everything in their power to ease His stress, make Him more comfortable, but He reached out to them instead.

I think of my own life and am convicted.  I have shared some details of  my health struggles in other posts.  Some of you reading know personally my husband Dave and others do not.  Let me share something about Mr. Limbird.  He is incredibly calm, patient, supportive, compassionate, the list goes on.  His support over these many years has been crucial.  When he walks in the door he is a breath of fresh air.  He is so appreciative of our spotless home and healthy and delicious meals.  He reminds me of what a great mom I am to Eli.  He makes sure I know it how thankful he is.  He pitches in with dinner dishes, laundry, you name it.  This is all after working hard and long hours at Procter and Gamble managing multi-million dollar projects.  I have felt guilty at times because my health has been such an issue in our lives for so many years.  He assures me God is working in tremendous ways in both our lives.  He makes me feel safe which is a blessing because I have not felt safe in my own body and feel utterly helpless in changing any of it.  He gives me back, shoulder, and foot massages whenever I ask which helps my tired muscles.  I have never, ever heard him complain about anything.

Dave serves me.  He loves me unconditionally and is my biggest fan when I am discouraged.  I could easily take advantage of his generous heart and focus on me and what I need.  Actually, I have done that at times and for that I ask for his forgiveness.  The Disciples took a great deal from Jesus and in the end He continued to serve them.  If I am not careful I can take from Dave all the time.  I must get better at washing his feet.

2 comments: