My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Prophesy

Remember a few days ago I said I never got to my originally planned entry?  I also apologize for the breaks in blogging.  Turns out the study I did after the one I am about to post was VERY in depth.  Those things can never be planned.  Some days the words flow from my heart to the paper very quickly and other days the Lord desires me to really dig in and study in greater detail.  I used to feel badly if every study wasn't some world-changing entry, but have learned that each one is in their own way.  Some are long and in depth and others seem to be more surface level.  The Lord can take what we think is a simple concept and unfold it 100 times before our eyes. 

Hebrews 4:12)  For the word of God is alive and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;  it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The last few days have been emotional to say the least.  Friday was the one year anniversary of my mom's death.  I didn't know what to expect that day and turns out it was a harder day than I planned.  The day was full of downpours and thunderstorms.  If it would have been about 20 degrees colder it would have been what my sister and I call "funeral weather."  I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that people showed me.  Every time I got a message or text about my mom I cried my eyes out.  I suppose it was therapeutic.  My friend, Kim, had ordered two dozen cupcakes and brownies so that kept me very busy.  I told Kim it was a huge blessing to have to do baking all day.  Baking is a happy thing!  My friend, Kristin, came over for a few hours and just sat at my kitchen island and talked while I baked.  It was fantastic!  Another friend dropped off flowers!  The lesson I learned is that a kind word, phone call, text, flowers, and time spent with another can literally make their day better.  I experienced this first hand and will step up my compassion level for others who are struggling.

So I'm long winded again and haven't even got to my entry.  I apologize for the length of today's entry, but I WILL post the study I had planned last week.  I already mentioned the inspiration author before.  It was Chuck Swindoll. 

Today's study uses John 14:2.  You can read it below.

John 14:2)  In My Father's house are many rooms;  if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you."

I find it confusing to think about what the disciples knew and understood about Jesus and His imminent death on the cross.  There were many Old Testament prophets who prophesied about the man who was to come.  I took some time and did some research on a few Old Testament prophecies and their New Testaments fulfillment's.  If your ever so inclined please take some time to study the prophecies and the odds of them ALL coming true.  It's very interesting!  My favorite Old Testament prophet was Isaiah.

Isaiah 53:3)  He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.  Like one from whom people hid their faced he was despised, and we hold him in low esteem.
John 1:10-11)  He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.  He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.

Psalm 41:9)  Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread has turned against me.
Mark 14:10)  Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them.

Zechariah 11:12)  I told them, "If you think it best, give me my pay;  but if not, keep it."  So they paid me thirty pieces of silver.
Matthew 26:14- 16)  Then one of the Twelve- the one called Judas Iscariot- went to the chief priests and asked, "What are you willing to give me if I deliver him over to you?"  So they counted out for him thirty pieces of silver.

Isaiah 53:7)  He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth;  he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
Mark 15:5)  But as Jesus still made no reply, and Pilate was amazed.

Psalm 22:1-2)  My God, my God, why have you forsaken me:  Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries and anguish?  My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but i find no rest.
Matthew 27:46)  About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?)

Psalm 22:7-8)  All who see me mock me;  they hurl insults, shaking their heads.  "He trusts in the Lord," they say, "let the Lord rescue him.  Let him deliver him, since he delights in him."
Matthew 27:41-44)  In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and elders mocked him.  "He saved others," they said, "but he can't save himself!  He's the king of Israel!  Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him.  He trusts in God.  Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, 'I am the Son of God.'"

Psalm 22:17-18)  All my bones are on display;  people stare and gloat over me.  They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.
John 19:23-24)  When the solders crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining.  This garment was seamless, woven in once piece from top to bottom.  "Let's not tear it," they said to one another.  "Let's decide by lot who will get it."  This happened so that the Scripture could be fulfilled...

Psalm 22:15)  My mouth is dried up like a potsherd (shard of pottery), and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;  you lay me in the dust of death.
Matthew 27:48)  Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge.  He filled it with wine vinegar, put in on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink.

Given the prophecies why were the Twelve so surprised by the death of Jesus?  Here is a little background on the situation.  The Jewish people were anxiously awaiting the leader who would save them from their captivity by the Romans.  I mentioned this concept back when we were studying Judas and his reasons for betrayal.  I think it is safe to say the Disciples were hoping for the same thing.  They desired freedom for their people too.  When Jesus was preparing for the cross they were confused and very scared.  I wonder if in the dark of night they felt betrayed by Jesus.  If it wasn't Him who would free them who would it be?!  We may have all felt this way at times.  I wonder if my mom ever felt betrayed by this man whom she dedicated her life to.  After all He could have removed the cancer from her earthly body in a blink of His eye.  He didn't.  I have felt let down by God...there I said it.  Just because I FEEL let down does not mean He did the letting down.

I find this rather humorous.  Peter actually argued with Jesus about His impending death.  I have this idea that the Christian journey would be much easier if Jesus walked the earth today.  Like Peter, I would probably still argue with Him! 

Mark 8:31-32)  He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that He must be killed and after three days rise again.  He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him.

The freedom that Jesus offered was not freedom from earthly rulers though. 

Ephesians 6:12)  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in heavenly realms.

The people really needed freedom from Satan and not their captors.  The Disciples needed freedom from Satan too.  They had preconceived notions about who they thought Jesus was even after following Him for nearly three years.  They also had notions about what they thought they needed and what Jesus should do.  When He did not do what they thought He should they became upset, confused, scared, and even angry.  I have sooooo been there! 

So even though the Old Testament prophesy pointed Jesus to the cross the men were still confused.  Even if I have the plan clearly laid before me I will wrestle with my will verses His.  So  many times I have wanted it all written out so questions could easily be answered.  It comes down to trusting that He knows exactly what I need and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment