My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Friday, February 17, 2012

A Special Place Called Heaven

Dave Veerman served as a senior editor for the Life Application Bible and has authored many other books.  He and another man founded the Livingstone Corporation which is an editing company that has authored and edited over 250 books.  His writing regarding heaven inspired my entry today.

John 14:2) "There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you, If this were not so, I would tell you plainly."

First off, as I was writing this blog entry the song Heaven by Bryan Adams came to mind.  Funny, huh?  Now that I mention it you probably will not be able to get it out of your head.

And baby you're all that I want
When your lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven
And love is all that I need
And I find it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

Okay, on to more spiritual things...  It sounds crazy to say but so many times I have wanted to call Mom to see what heaven is like.  She was ALWAYS a phone call away.  Deleting her number off my phone was a pretty big deal.

In John 14:2 Jesus is referring to heaven.  God lives in heaven and currently Jesus sits at His right hand.  It is a debated issue, but some believe the angel Gabriel sits on God's other side.  I have read a few books regarding heaven and they are Heaven is for Real and Ninety Minutes in Heaven.  There is also a children's version of Heaven is for Real which is fantastic.  I started a book by Randy Alcorn titled Heaven that I am yet to complete.  It is D-E-E-P, DEEP!  None of these books can do heaven justice.  Actually, the authors of the Bible had trouble doing it justice.  John speaks of heaven in Revelation 21-22.  If you are feeling brave please read Revelation...and know that my head spun too.

Revelation 21:1) Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea."

We speak quite often about heaven in our household for several reasons.  Deuteronomy 6:7 says," Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."  This verse is talking about the principles of God.  One of the main goals of parenting Eli to Dave and myself is for Eli to live and breath God.  We do not want God to be a Sunday-only thing.  We want Him intertwined in our everyday life and conversations.  Heaven is also a hot topic because Eli knows Grandma Dinah is there.  In fact, he rubbed her hands minutes before she entered those pearly gates.  Eli likes to ask questions about the New Earth...will Floppy be there, will my Christmas toys be there, etc.?  For those of you who do not know who Floppy is he is an enormous stuffed horse that was bought by my mom for Eli many years ago.  Floppy is our fourth family member and has been restuffed and restitched more times than I can remember.  Eli will say in the car, "mommy, when we are on the New Earth I'm going to have X,Y,Z and will give Grandma Dinah a big hug."  To him, the New Earth is just another fact of life.  Doesn't the Bible say something about having the faith of a child?!  Eli doesn't spend any time contemplating what the New Earth will be like.  He just believes it will come and it will be dreamy.

The Bible does share some information regarding heaven.  Here are a few verses that clue us in to heaven.  Heaven will be...
1. A kingdom- 2 Peter 1:11) and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
2. An inheritance-  and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you...
3. A country- Hebrews 11:16) Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
4. A city- Hebrews 11:16) Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.
5. A home- 2 Corinthians 5:8) Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

I wish I could know more details of heaven.  At times I have wanted to know exactly what it is like.  I have even felt fearful when the thought of heaven comes to mind.  Satan loves when the thought of heaven scares me which is strange coming from someone who comes from hell and will spend eternity there.  Now the thought of that is scary and should be!  When I set my curiosity aside I do not really want to know what heaven will be like because if my mind can comprehend it it would not be heaven.

Heaven is a real place.  Nor every one is privileged enough to spend eternity there.

John 3:16)  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:36)  Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
John 14:6)  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
John 17:3)  And this is eternal life,that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
Acts 4:12)  And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Jesus means He is the only way to heaven.  There are no good works, gifts, money, religiosity (thanks Bobby Smith for using this word last night at J-Group) or anything else that will enable me to go to heaven.

I know enough about heaven to know I want to go.  God has shown compassion by letting those who study Scripture in on a few details.  How to get there is clear and is rather black and white.  At times I more details...what else IS there?  My mind cannot comprehend what it will be like.  Here is what I know for sure WILL NOT be there;  death, sorrow, crying, pain.

Revelation 21:4)  ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

After writing this entry I have decided I want to go to heaven for what will NOT be there!







No comments:

Post a Comment