My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Contemplating Communion, Part 4

Today we will dig into another reason we are to celebrate Communion, and take it very seriously.

Of the list I have composed thus far, I have taken each one for granted.  I take for granted that the Holy Spirit operates in a far wider capacity under the New Covenant and I slack on the fact that I am a minister of this covenant.  I feel very far removed from having to offer animal sacrifice or having a priest do it for me.  The far out rules of the Law seems archaic to me and I often do not value the freedom I have as a follower of Jesus Christ.  The next reason I give regarding Communion really hit me between the eyes.  So here goes...

As a follower of Jesus Christ we have direct access to God.  God!  Any time I want I can talk to Him which, incidentally, does not happen enough.  Talking about taking something for granted.  I can talk to God ANYTIME I want and often find myself too busy or distracted.  Are you kidding me?!  If a person in the Old Testament wanted to talk to God they had to jump through some major hoops.  Remember reading about ceremonial laws yesterday?  Enter them now.

In Israel there was a particular temple that held great significance.  The Temple was the hub of activity.  Here the Law of Moses was carried out and where animal sacrifices were given.  It was a holy place which is why Jesus was so angry about the tax collectors being there.  People had turned it into a commercial marketplace (see Matthew 21:12). I wonder if you could even buy a goat that could be used for sacrifice.  I wonder if these goats were priced very high because the sellers knew people needed them badly. 

In the temple was a veil.  This veil separated the Holy of Holies from man.  The Holy of Holies was God's earthly dwelling place.  It separated a sinless God from depraved man.  Actually there was even a second curtain separating the Most Holy Place.  Hebrews 1:1-9 discusses the details of the Temple and is certainly worth reading in it's entirety.  Even with the rules and sacrifices it was not enough for man to enter this holy place.  Sin separated people from God EVEN with the blood sacrifices.  Once a year the high priest could pass through the veil to the inner room.

Hebrews 9:3) There was a tent behind the second curtain called the holy of holies.
Hebrews 9:7) But only the high priest enters the second tent once a year.  He never does this without blood, which he offers for himself and for the sins the people committed in ignorance.
Hebrews 9:9) This is a symbol for the present time.  It shows that the gifts and sacrifices that are being offered can't perfect the conscience of the one who is serving.

The Temple and the veil were real things.  This is not figurative.  The first temple (Solomon's Temple) was destroyed by King Nebuchadnezzar II in 587 B.C. then a second temple was built in 516 B.C., renovated by Herod the Great in 19, and was destroyed in 70 by the Romans.  Kings and Chronicles are two chapters that give details of the Temple, the Holy Place, and the Most Holy Place.  The Bible is such a rich history book!  The Dome of the Rock stands where Herod's Temple once stood.

Acts 17:24) God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that He is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands...

When Jesus Christ took His last breath the veil was ripped in two.  The dividing wall was removed.  Now believers in Jesus Christ had direct access to God.  He bridged the gap.  It was the ultimate intercessory.  No longer was a priest needed to sacrifice animals.  Now there was a way to God, a way that cleansed the conscience of a repentant sinner.  Hebrews 9:9 tells us the offering could not cleanse the conscience and I would dare to say ease the pain of guilt.  The blood of animals was never enough, but Jesus sacrificial blood was enough, then and now. 

Matthew 27:50-51) Again Jesus cried out with a loud shout.  Then He died.  Look, the curtain of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom.  The earth shook, the rocks split...

I'll close with the lyrics to one of my all-time favorite songs.  PLEASE look up MercyMe on iTunes and download the song "All of Creation."

Separated until the veil was torn
The moment that hope was born
and guilt was pardoned once and for all

Captivated but no longer bound by chains
left at an empty grave
the sinner and the sacred resolved

and all of creation sing with me now
lift up your voice
and lay your burden down and all of creation sing with me now
fill up the heavens let his glory resound

Time has faded and we see him face to face
every doubt erased forever we will worship the king

Separated until the veil was torn
The moment that hope was born
and guilt was pardoned once and for all

the reason we breathe is to sing of his glory
and for all he has done praise the father praise the son and the spirit in one
Separated until the veil was torn
The moment that hope was born
and guilt was pardoned once and for all

Separated until the veil was torn
The moment that hope was born
and guilt was pardoned once and for all

and every knee will bow oh and every tongue praise the Father praise
the Son and the Spirit in one






No comments:

Post a Comment