My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Friday, March 2, 2012

John 14:6 Summary

By saying He is the way, the truth, and the life He is assuring His disciples everything they need is in Him.  We cannot find the way, truth, or life in anything else or anyone else and certainly not in ourselves.  When I know Jesus I know God and then, and only then, can I know the way, the truth, and life.

I do not need to know the plan, the blueprint to life, or the technique to accomplish it all.  I only need to trust Jesus.  This is a struggle for me right now as I began a completely new route of treatment for my hormonal issues.  The old treatment was NOT WORKING and was causing symptoms to get much,  much worse and was putting me at risk for ovarian and breast cancer.  Nothing like being on the wrong path for nearly three years, right?!  It's funny because you get used to things even if they are not the best for you.  The old saying, 'you get used to hanging if you hang long enough' is totally true.  For me, part of the worry of switching treatment plans is what if it doesn't work either.  Satan has been tempting me lately with that notion.  When you have been through something as hard as a chronic health condition it is really hard to get your hopes up.  This can be the case with any struggle in life whether it be a family situation or career oriented.  What if God does not change this?  What if these symptoms last forever?  What if this is my lot in life?  These are all questions that I can spend too much time pondering if I am not careful.  I want to know WHEN God will take this thorn from me and get scared to think He will not.  I have talked about my husband, David, before.  He is truly THE most patient man on this earth.  He knows when to listen and when to speak.  He reasons through the details of this situation.  One thing he does not do is baby me when my attitude is sinful and he is not afraid to tell me my fear and worry are sin.  He calls me out without ever losing his sensitivity.

The disciples are scared and confused and they logistically want to know how to get to where Jesus is going.  In John 14:6 He basically is telling them everything they need to know is found in Himself.  I think of myself here.  I spend too much time looking for answers when I really just need to seek God.  I have mentioned before that I am trying to improve as just sitting at the throne of God without using words.  I have used more words than I can remember in praying over my health situation.  Speaking with God is still important too.  For me, seeking God happens more in the quiet.  He is saying to them to trust Him during this scary and difficult time and He has been telling me the same thing now.

I have so many questions about why the last three years turned out this way.  Dave and I prayed hard, long, and often over the decision to do hormone replacement therapy and who would oversee it.  It did not turn out so well.  We genuinely wanted to stay in the will of God.  I have this idea in my head that the will of God is the easy way.  In reality the right way remains difficult many times. 

Matthew 14:22-31
Jesus Walks on the Water
22)Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd.  23) After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24) but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.  25) During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake.  26) When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.  27) But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”  28) “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29) “Come,” he said.  Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  30)But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31) Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

One of the best sermons I have ever heard was done by Pastor Dan Huckins from Lima Community Church of the Nazarene.  He spoke on the above verses.  It was powerful and can be found on Itunes.  I want Jesus to calm my storm.  The disciples I am sure did too.  He didn't calm it then.  He went out to them and expected something in return.  He expected Peter to get out of the boat and act in faith.  He wants me to do this now and to not quit believing even when the waves crash me.  When Peter doubted he sank.  I sink when I doubt.  When my life is not controlled by fear, doubt, and worry I can live a VERY abundant life even in the midst of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment