My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

In Jesus Name?

I am on Day 85 of the devotional book I'm working my way through.  Jesus and His Disciples are participating in the Last Supper.  Andrew Murray is today's author.  Here is a quick history lesson on Mr. Murray.  He was born in South Africa in 1828 and he passed away in 1917.  He was a pastor, author, and teacher.  At a very young age he and his brother were sent to Scotland for their education and remained there until they received their Master's degrees.  I have noticed that quite often parents sent their children away for education in Murray's generation.  I can't imagine doing that with Eli.  This teaching and writing was very influential and still is.  I have read one Andrew Murray book titled Divine Healing.  To say it was good is an understatement.  Authors from this time wrote in a different style which is unfamiliar to me.  It was a deep book to say the least.

John 14:13-14)  "And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."

This is one of those verses that can easily be misconstrued.  I have done it myself and if not careful can do quite often.  So what does Jesus mean in John 14:13-14?  My parents taught me to pray in Jesus name, but it wasn't until later in life where I understood what that meant.  It is a constant battle to keep check on my motives when I pray so even though I have a head knowledge of what the verse means I don't always have a heart knowledge. 

Praying in Jesus' name means praying according to the will of God.  When I evaluate my motives honestly when praying the state of my heart is revealed.  By that I mean my heart does not always have pure motives even in prayer.  Knowing the will of God is not some grand 'ah-ha' moment that comes when we have finally arrived as Christians.  The will of God is revealed as we seek Him in all we do.  It is in even the smallest decisions we make that seem to not affect anything large.  I seem to look for His will in the huge decisions, but huge decisions are made of many small decisions.  Because of this it is crucial to look for Him in each and every decision we make.  They add up.  So authentically praying in Jesus' name is desiring His will in each and every area.

In some of my most desperate times I have said "in Jesus' name," at the end of my prayer time almost as a command.  The phrase is not part of a magic formula or a way to boss God around.  To be honest, authentic prayer can only be done in Jesus name because He is our bridge to God the Father.  Above all us I should desire God's will above mine.  I have included a wonderful promise from Proverbs below.

Proverbs 37:4)  Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

When I find all my satisfaction in God alone my true desires change.  They become meshed with God's desires.  When this happens He provides my deepest desires because all I do should be done to the glory of God.  Praying in Jesus' name acknowledges what He did on the cross and acknowledges He has all authority.  God will never do anything that does not bring glory to Himself.

I would love to have every answer on prayer.  I will be honest and say I struggle with prayer.  I really do.  There are so many questions I have.  How exactly do I pray in agreement with Him and I struggle to know what He desires?  When I would cry out to God on my behalf of my dying mother I struggled with saying "whatever you will God, I am okay with that."  Here is what I do know.  He loves us.  He wants me to share my heart, my wants, my desires with Him.  He also desires me to be a person of substance.  By that I mean to keep praying even when things look like they are not working out.  He also wishes that I let Him shape and mold me (and my prayers).

1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)  Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

When I truly pray in Jesus name I am faced with a few things.  I am faced with the need to evaluate my own motives and to work on submitting to God desiring what He wants more than what I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment