My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Truths About God

I am reading a book titled, When a Woman Lets Go of Her Fears written by Cheryl Brodersen.  It's been a great read and Cheryl has a knack for making her points in a simple way.  She offers a list of seven that state what is true about God.  As I read the list I really began to evaluate how much I believe each one and how the unbelief affects other aspects of my life.  I will share with you her list than share my thoughts on each one.

1. God is
2. God is able
3. God is good
4. God will work
5. God loves you
6. God's ways are perfect
7. God's timing is perfect

It might be helpful to take a few minutes to meditate on her list and see how your belief system matches us.  If it does than do your actions and thoughts match what you think you belief. 

1. God is. 

Hebrews 11:6)  Without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that He is. 

Psalm 11:4)  The fool says in his heart there is no God.

The Bible never makes the argument that God exists.  It is a given and is obvious.  His design is in everything.  Recently I had blood work done and was so amazed by the wealth of information contained in those viles of blood.  It reinforced my belief that God is.

2.  God is able.

Ephesians 3:20) Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask for imagine, according to His power that is at work with us...

Paul is offering wonderful praise (something I need to do more of).  My problem is life-consuming right now, but that is because I only see the human perspective of it.  I have wondered before if my problem is so small to God why can't He just fix it real quick like.  Again, I don't see the whole parade just my float.  He is able to work it all out for His glory and my good.  He has an endless imagination.  As I thought about God being able I came to the conclusion that I believe deep to my core that He is able to do anything.

3.  God is good.

Psalm 107:1)  Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;  His love endures forever.

I think of the Chris Tomlin song here!  It is important to believe this in order to trust Him.  A fundamental to faith is trust so you ee how critical it is to believe He is good.  I do not struggle with His plan of salvation and His immeasurable good in that plan.  I admit I have an issue with the concept of God being good in all areas of my life.  I know that He would not be good if He provided everything I wanted exactly when I wanted it.  I would not be a good parent to Eli if I did that with him.  So you can see my battle...I go back and forth which is because I am too dependant on my feelings.  I often talk to God about my struggle.  I REALLY struggle releasing my situation to Him.

4.  God will work.

Romans 8:28)   And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

This verse reminds me that He will work in all things and not just some.  "God allows the circumstances to get way beyond our control at times before He does His work," Cheryl Brodersen.  The above quote really hit home with me in a personal way.  I would even add to the end by saying...in the open.  I believe He is working on my situation all the time, but I cannot see it yet.  Believe me when I tell you I feel totally helpless and out of control over my situation.  I remind myself consistently that He is working.

Think of the story of the parting of the Red Sea.  It was the 11th hour for the Israelites.  You can read the story in Exodus 14.  I think God has a dramatic side to Him.  He is often so simple yet so dramatic at the same time.  Look at the amazing aspects in nature.  Dave and I love the mountains!  Our dream house is in the mountains overlooking a beautiful lake.  The Mountains are dramatic!  Interestingly enough the closer I become to God the more intense my battles are.  I believe Satan knows when a person is authentic about their quest.  "Sometimes when we pray and ask God to work, the circumstances will intensify, but God is at work even in the building pressure.  He is increasing the drama to draw attention to the glory of what He is about to do," Cheryel Broderen.  This speaks to me because my situation is as bad now as ever.  I found no relief from my old treatment and feel lost on what to do now.  The circumstances appear and feel unrelenting.  I believe God knows my discouragement and frustraton because here is a quote from my Joyce Meyer daily devotion yesterday.  "You may not see Him coming, but you will certainly know wen He has been there."

5.  God loves me.

Romans 8:38-39)  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

There is nothing too bad for God to forgive.  His love is available to all, but can only be experienced when it is accepted.  There are some parts of God I do not understand.  What I do understand is the love He showed humanity by sending Jesus to die on the cross.  I get that.  What I do not get is why some children are raped.  I don't get why my mom had to suffer such an awful death.  I do not know and will probably never know, but decided long ago I was going to stop demanding to understand.  I believe we aren't supposed to understand it all.  I believe the Bible is true and it says He loves us.

6.  God's ways are perfect.

Psalm 18:30)  As for God, His ways are perfect. 

Proverbs 3:5-6)  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6 are two of my favorite passages in the Bible.  I have recited it to myself time and time again.  I firmly believe it has kept me sane during the hardest time of my life.  If I lean on my own view of this I will feel completely hopeless.  Actually I have found myself wallowing in my understanding and because of this any oune of confident expectation flees.  Trust plays a big roll here.  Without trust it is impossible to believe His ways are perfect.  We have to trust His plan for us in order to live in that peace the Bible mentions.

7.  God's timing is perfect.

Eccliastes 3:1-12)  There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.  What do workers gain from their toil?  I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race.  He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live.

Are you thinking of "The Byrds" song now?!  Man I loved that Forrest Gump soundtrack!  My mom used to say she was excited for heaven because there would be no time there.  We are all about time and things being quick.  Joyce Meyer reminds her listeners often that bad things do not last forever nor do good.  What is needed is trust in that God will provide what you need just when you need it. 

We all have an impatient nature.  The other night I was talking to Dave on the phone.  We were talking about our next step in trying to find relief for me.  It was an intense conversation.  Whenever I am upset Eli gets me Floppy to hug.  After I hung up with Dave Eli asked what was wrong.  I don't allow Eli to see every in and out of this situation, but do try to use what I can for teaching him a lesson.  I told him I was just very tired of waiting on God to bring me through to the other side of this.  I told him I get discouraged waiting for my health and wellness to come.  I explained that we have to keep praying over the situation.  Eli says this to me, "usually God doesn't take this long to do something."  Again thinking how I could use this to teach him some Biblical principle I explained to him what Biblical patience was.  It is waiting with a positive attitude.  We also talked about how God is still working even when it doesn't appear so.

Truth is when we pray we want immediate results and when that doesn't happen we auomatically assume, 1.  God must not care, 2.  He's just plain mean, 3.  we will be stuck forever where we are at.  These are all lies and must be faced head on with God's truth.  God is intentional and His delays have purpose.

I hope that I have given you something to think about.  The best thing to do is be honest and tell God which of these you need help with an authentic manner.  He will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment