My desire is that my simple thoughts will speak to your spirit and be helpful in some unique way.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

No Coincidence

"Jesus Paid It All" is really one of my top five favorite songs ever.  I absolutely love each word.  I'll copy the lyrics below so you can take in the power of the words.  Elvina Hall wrote this poem in Baltimore, MD in 1865.  The music was written by John T. Grape.

  1. I hear the Savior say,
    “Thy strength indeed is small;
    Child of weakness, watch and pray,
    Find in Me thine all in all.”
    • Refrain:
      Jesus paid it all,
      All to Him I owe;
      Sin had left a crimson stain,
      He washed it white as snow.
  2. For nothing good have I
    Whereby Thy grace to claim;
    I’ll wash my garments white
    In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
  3. And now complete in Him,
    My robe, His righteousness,
    Close sheltered ’neath His side,
    I am divinely blest.
  4. Lord, now indeed I find
    Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
    Can change the leper’s spots
    And melt the heart of stone.
  5. When from my dying bed
    My ransomed soul shall rise,
    “Jesus died my soul to save,”
    Shall rend the vaulted skies.
  6. And when before the throne
    I stand in Him complete,
    I’ll lay my trophies down,
    All down at Jesus’ feet.

    I could not find much information on Ms. Hall or John T. Grape.  I'll share with you what I did find though.  As I was doing my searching an interesting thought came to mind.  I will share that with you in a minute.  Elvina was sitting in her pew at Monument Street Methodist Church on, probably an average run-of-the-mill Sunday.  She may have even been sitting in the pew in the choir loft she sat in every single Sunday.  For our entire married life Dave and I have sat on the right side of the church.  It could be any of the three churches we have attended together.  It is always the right side!  We used to sit towards the back, but now we are right up in the front few rows.  The other Sunday we got crazy and sat on the left side of Journey.  Lets just say the following Sunday we were back on the right side.  It just felt too weird!  I digress...

    As the story goes the pastor was being a bit lengthy in prayer and Elvina could not stay focused.  She apparently is far more holy that I because when my mind wonders in church it is usually because I'm thinking about what is for dinner.  We go on Saturday night so dinner is what's next!  Anyway, she started to doodle down this poem on the flyleaf.  As the pastor went on so did Elvina's poem.  One story I read states that Elvina felt guilty about not paying attention she admitted her ways to the pastor and showed him her poem.

    At some point the choir director, John T. Grape, had composed some music.  Mr. Grape was a successful coal merchant and also played the choir at the church.  The Monument Street Methodist Church was being renovated so the church organ was being stored at Mr. Grape's house.  Apparently that is where he composed this music.  After reading the poem and I assume hearing the music the pastor had the idea to combine the two and a beautiful piece was created!

    Back to my thought I had while reading the above story...here it goes.  Some may say that the fact that the church was being renovated, the organ had been moved to Mr. Grape's, and Elvina's mind wondered during church was mere coincidence.  I beg to differ.  There are so many things that happen to us that all fit together.  I think of the people that have been brought into my life that only God could orchestrate.  This hits me personally because of how often we move.  God allowed some dear friends to enter my life in each move.  It isn't a coincidence that these friends and I are kindred spirits.  God put our hearts together.  The fact is that God divinely orchestrated Elvina's thoughts and Mr. Grape's music to collide.  

    When I think of life in this manner my heart cannot help but be thankful for Gods providence.  It also builds trust in Him and encourages me to hand everything over to Him.  It makes me feel important to Him.  Proverbs 16:9 reads, "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."  He is active in the lives of His children.

      I also think of the verse Romans 8:26 which says, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."  There have been many, many times over the last six plus years when I have been out of words.  I have felt like I couldn't pray over my mom's cancer anymore or my health condition anymore.  Maybe that is where He has wanted me.  Prayer is not our monologue.  When my frustrations have dulled my prayers The Lord has drawn my heart to His.  I picture myself kneeling before His thrown silently.  During these times I cling to Romans 8:26.  The Spirit is praying on my behalf because I don't even know what to pray for.  When things unfold I tend to think coincidence.  As I have matured in my relationship with the Lord I am quicker to think of of His divine providence and His sovereignty.  I do not believe there are any coincidences in my life.  To God be the glory for nothing in my life being an accident.

    Please meditate on the words of "Jesus Paid It All" and see what the Lord has for you.  I hope I have encouraged you to also see your life as that of purpose and to look for God's hand in every detail.  Also, go immediately to ITunes and download Kristian Stanfill's version of "Jesus Paid It All." You will not be sorry!





No comments:

Post a Comment